Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pumpkin Scones for Australia Day

After my last post I could not leave you all without introducing you another truely Australian recipe I love to make on Australia Day and any other time throughout the year that I fancy – Pumpkin Scones

I am sure you have all heard of Scones (In Australia we pronouce them as Skon not Skoan) and most have even tasted a variety or 2.  Some have experienced the joy that comes from devowering a light as air scone, while others have been tortured with a hard as a rock scone. Obviously the aforementioned version is preferable. Very few however have tried the Pumpkin Scone. So allow me to introduce you to a real gem.

My recipe comes from the lady who made them famous, Lady Florence Bjelke-Petersen (or Lady Flo as she’s known), a Queensland senator during the late 80s and early 90s and wife of former Queensland premier Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen. During her time as a senator she became well-known for her pumpkin scones, her reputation for them rivalling that of her political career. “I hope they remember me first for being a senator, who just happened to make pumpkin scones,” recounts Florence. And the secret to these golden nuggets? Cook the pumpkin the night before and chill it in the fridge. I always use Queensland Blue pumpkin but I am sure any deliciously sweet pumpkin would work fine.

Lady Florence Bjelke-Petersen’s Famous Pumpkin Scones

Degree of difficulty: Low

You need:

1 Tblsp butter

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 cup mashed pumpkin (cold)

2 cups Self raising flour

Method:

Beat together butter, sugar and salt with electric mixer.

Add egg, then pumpkin and stir in the flour.

Turn on to floured board and cut.

Place in tray on top shelf of very hot oven 225-250c for 15-20 minutes.

[Via http://abracadabraparties.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment