Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Epic Bean

While on a quest to cook more at home to both save money and eat better.  I decide to take inspiration for Jules and Julia, and cook all the recipes from my favorite cook book.  I was totally amped.  I spent a productive day going to the store and hunting down all the fresh ingredients for my dish, $60 dollars later (what was this about “saving money”) and the day mostly gone I start to soak the beans.  Beans take 8 hours to soak!  Eight hours!  Now I could have gone the “short route” where you boil the beans, cutting the time down to two hours, but I needed to leave the house and run some more errands.

Oh, then life came into play.  Everything too way too long, five minutes at the home store turned into and hour daze, focus was lacking at the other grocery store I had to go to and milk and butter turned into an other $65 of food I’m sure we’ll not eat in the next few days, oh and,  I also needed to get gas where the line was 10 cars long.

Then night fell and it was time to cook dinner. But there was the small fact of BEANS!  They now needed to cook for two more hours!  We were starving after a full day and not willing to eat at 10pm! So the beans went into the fridge, for the next day.

Right, the next day.  I did cook at home but after spending all day looking at wedding venues I had no time to cook for 2 hours and again we were unwilling to eat past 9pm.  So back to the fridge for the next day.

Guess what, I was lazy and we got pizza. I refuse to learn how long beans keep for after being rehydrated, these beans will be cooked!

So the beans are being cooked tonight, when I finish blogging, cleaning, looking at more wedding venues and having a snack before my 10pm meal tonight. Please tell me when I will have time or money to cook!  Maybe around 11pm, when I’m still digesting my wonderful bean dish I’ll look for a new cook book.

Anyone know of a cook book named, “Vegetarian Bean-less Meals that  Take Less than 10 minutes to Make and Taste Like You Know What Your Doing”? That would be perfect!

[Via http://thesmallbough.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment