Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 18 - Memory Loss, Headphone Loss, Battery Loss,

Just before bedtime last night, the W proclaimed loud and proud “Tomorrow we are watching Glee on DVD!” I half flinched and half laughed to myself when she said this because if there is one thing I have learned in my 6+ years of being married to this woman it is this–when she is sleepy you cannot trust what she says. It’s not that she lies, it is that she cannot or does not remember what she says during sleepy time. At periodic times in our marriage this has caused me much grief. For example I will ask her a question about something, she’ll answer…and then later claim to have no idea what I am talking about or doing as I follow through on our earlier conversation. In the interest of full disclosure, I do the same thing to her too when I am sleepy…so I guess we’re even. All that is to say last night when she said we’d be watching Glee on DVD today she was sleepy. It hasn’t happened yet…and I am betting it won’t.

What did happen today is I was all set to go to the YMCA for a workout. I’ve been kind of lazy and taking it easy after hurting my back, but I do need to get back into exercise mode. Today was the day because she told me that if I did not start going (i.e. today) then she’d pull my membership. Seeing how I have to go along with her, I was all dressed in my running shorts, t-shirt, low cut cotton white socks and my running shoes. I grabbed my YMCA id card, wallet, keys, ipod…but I couldn’t find the headphones. After I looked and looked I sent the W a text (She was already at the Y during all of this). She responded that she did not know where my headphones are and “I am using mine.” About 2 minutes goes by and my phone beeps again with an incoming text. It read “Oops I have yours!” in reference to my headphones.

I was honestly thinking that since she’d been at the Y for a while now, by the time I got down there she’d be done and I could just get the headphones from her. Instead she told me to take the dog on a walk and to “come to the Y later”. So I once again changed my clothes and got ready to take the dog on a walk.

Earlier in the day she did tell me to take the dog on a walk around the neighborhood at some point in the day, so I knew it was coming, I was just hoping to do it after the Y. Also earlier I was given explicit directions not to let the dog run sprints at the park because it’s too soggy outside and the other day after our walk Ellis came in, jumped on the couch and smeared a nice amount of mud all over the leather. So Ellis and I went walking for 45 in the neighborhood. I didn’t realize that her being a full blooded Boxer also meant she is part bloodhound. The walk would have been at least 15 minutes quicker if she didn’t have to stop and smell every damn thing under the sun. It’s like she’s never been outside before.

Next I have to clean up the kitchen. The other thing I have learned in my 6+ years of marriage to the W is “I’ll do it” has different ways of being understood. I understand it to mean “I will get to it at some point during the day.” She understands it to mean “right now.” Cleaning up the kitchen is not a big deal, but it was another one of her instructions for me to follow today, so I’m including it in the post…and it was kind of annoying to have to do it “right now” because I was chatting with a friend online at the time. But who am I to argue with her this year?

Finally I am able to change (again) and get ready to go to the Y. This time I have the headphones to go with the ipod so I am ready to roll. I get there, stretch, and put the ipod on just before I go to hit the treadmill. Only to hear 7 seconds on my Lolo Jones playlist before the battery on the thing dies. This sucks. I loathe the YMCA music selections.

So now I’m home, off to shower and then cook our dinner–penne vodka. I’m cooking every night this week which I don’t mind because she has a really busy week…BUT  I’m still hoping she forgets about Glee tonight. I really really really watch to watch “No Reservations” with Anthony Bourdain.

[Via http://andrewthefrog.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment