Saturday, January 23, 2010

Potato Salad. You can't lose.

Potato Salad. I decided to try my hand at this one day and upon looking up some recipes, it turns out you can pretty much throw it together out of stuff in your fridge and be fine.  One of the big decisions will be whether  you want to use olive oil or mayonnaise.  If you’re health conscious, olive oil is the clear choice (because mayonnaise is opaque. Ha Ha oh these jokes are terrible).  If your mom used mayonnaise and you’re confident you cant’ live without it… don’t.  I used both.

The recipe I used called for pickle juice so naturally I went to the grocery store to pick it up, forgot why I was there, ended up purchasing beer instead, and came home all the happier.  The rest of it I pretty much followed and it turned out pretty darn good.  I do, however, feel the need to throw my own 2 cents into this.

My suggestions?

  • If you’re going to use a lot of onion in it… make sure it’s a mild one.  The last thing you want in potato salad is a strong onion bite.
  • When adding parsley, always use fresh, and add it little by little so you don’t accidentally add Way more than is necessary.  (this didn’t happen to me… but a friend I know… yea… just don’t do it.)
  • If you’re already boiling the potatoes, throw a couple of eggs in there too.  That way you kill 2 birds with one stone (or pot of boiling water, as it is).

Mine came out fantastic, in spite of disproportionate amounts of parsley… overbearing onions… and the barely noticeable absence of pickle juice.  So the moral of this story?  You can’t really mess this one up.  Just add things little by little and taste it as you go.  If it tastes like potato salad… you’re heading the right direction.

Ingredients
  • 3 or 4 mid sized Russet potatoes
  • 4 Tbsp juice from Kosher dill pickles
  • 3 Tbsp finely chopped dill pickles
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 or 2 chopped scallions, including the greens
  • 1-2 hard boiled eggs, chopped (optional)
  • 1 medium carrot, finely chopped (optional)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, raw or roasted, chopped (optional)
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

[Via http://unovita.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment