Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Welcome to Chicago's 43rd Ward

It’s time for another tour of the 50 Wards of Chicago.  I have been a little lax on this as I have started working but I promise to make my 50 wards tour a higher priority!

A couple of weeks ago, Jeff and I visited the 43rd Ward.  Like many Chicagoans, this was not our first visit to this ward – this ward is Lincoln Park.  Alderman Vi Daley and her staff had some great suggestions for us and, indeed, Jeff and I saw some new places!

We started with a trip to the Green City Market.  My first job in Chicago was with Meals on Wheels which had an association with the restaurant industry and chefs.  Because of this, I remember when the Green City Market opened over ten years ago (as I recall, Gale Gand was a driving force for this) over by the Chicago Theater as a way for Chicagoans to enjoy the same local, organic produce, cheese, and meats that chefs (yes “Top Chef Masters” fans, this includes our beloved Bayless) choose from all the time.  A few years ago, the Green City Market moved to Lincoln Park (by the Lincoln Park Zoo) in the summer and the Notebart museum in the winter.  In addition to expanding to include a winter location, the Green City Market now runs 7AM-1PM on both Wednesdays and Saturdays.  And yes foodies, chefs still do a bunch of their shopping there – and some demos, too!

My word of advice – the expanded Green City Market has a ton of food vendors as well as samples at about every booth so come hungry!

After loading up on peaches (remember my post about the yummy Eli’s Cheesecake Peach Cobbler?), veggies, and bread, Jeff and I hit the road and searched for The Bellinger Cottage (2121 N Hudson) which survived the Chicago Fire.  The cottage is adorable and, honestly, the house on the street where I told Jeff I’d like to live (before I realized it was the Bellinger Cottage)!

I admit to a little bit of cheating on this ward visit (look for this in future visits too!) because I have spent so much time here.  Alderman Daley’s office also recommended visiting the Lincoln Park Zoo (one of the last free Zoos in the country – I add to this that in the summer, try to go to a Jammin’ at the Zoo concert and in the winter, don’t miss the Zoo Lights!), the Caldwell Lilly Pool right by the Zoo (Cannon and Fullerton), check out the architecture in the ward (YES!), and the Chicago History Museum (I’m spending my birthday doing one of their new walking tours – can’t wait!).  I’ll add to this that the Notebart Nature Museum is fun for those with kiddos, the Lincoln Park Conservatory is a welcome winter escape, and the neighborhood is full of great eating (Twin Anchors), drinking (well, I’m too old for Lincoln Park drinking), and shopping (Lill Studios!) options!

If you have never been to Chicago, when you do visit, a trip to the 43rd Ward will definitely happen and if you live in Chicago, give the 43rd Ward another visit – I’m sure, like me, you’ll find something new to love there! Hey Chicagoans – got any suggestions to add to this?  Post them in the comments section!

Thanks for reading Bright-Yellow!

No comments:

Post a Comment