Thursday, September 10, 2009

Tips for Healthy Travel

Hi guys!

Thanks for all of your great sandwich suggestions today. I really needed a few more lunchtime ideas and now I have a bunch! You will see me try them all over the next few weeks!

Today I actually ended up eating a nectarine at lunch with my sandwich instead of the carrots, and for snack I had a Fage 2% yogurt with a TJ’s fruit pack (sorry, no picture- I was at a staff meeting when I ate it and I didn’t think it was the time or place for food pictures! Think yesterday’s snack but with yogurt instead of cottage cheese today.) I also snacked on some red grapes during the meeting. I’m not a huge yogurt lover, but, man does that stuff keep you full! It’s impressive actually- I didn’t feel the slightest hunger for 5 hours. At 130 calories a container, I’ll take it!

I was at work until very late, so I brought an easy dinner: an Amy’s “Especial” Burrito with beans, rice, cheese and spices inside. I topped it with a little bit of yogurt that I had saved (yay for thinking ahead!) and some hot sauce. Then I ate my carrots.

I think Amy’s burritos are perfection. They taste great and are really well portioned (300-320 calories), so I don’t feel like I can over-eat (like I always do if I go out for Mexican!)

I really could eat this everyday.

When I got home, I made a cup of Mighty Leaf Chamomile Tea. This is my favorite. It’s kinda pricey, but it is sooo worth it. There are all sorts of wonderful flowers, herbs, and lemony spices to fill your hot mug!

So, now I am off to pack for our trip to Portland tomorrow. We’re flying out at night, so I am working all day, grabbing my stuff, and heading to the airport. We will be staying at Loren’s friend’s house and taking part in lots of wedding festivities all weekend. At times like these, I don’t know what to expect in terms of food or exercise, but I try to plan and prepare for a healthy trip. Here are some of my quick tips for healthy travel:

- Bring your sneakers and workout clothes and be flexible with your workouts. Even if you can’t find a gym nearby, go to a park, take walks through different neighborhoods, do jumping jacks and strengthening moves in your room that don’t require anything but you (i.e. push-ups, planks, ab exercises, etc).

- Bring the snacks you love to prevent over-eating. I always bring granola bars, string cheese, fruit, and whole grain crackers to have with me on flights and during my trips- especially if I am staying with people I don’t know that well. I don’t want to get really hungry and either A) have no way of getting to a snack or B) only have unhealthy options around.

- Stay healthy on the plane. Planes are, I hate to say it, full of germs. I have two great tips to prevent getting sick:

1) Drink Emergen-C or something like it. I am convinced that this stuff, with all of its vitamins and Vitamin C, boosts my immune system and keeps me healthy. I try to drink them every few hours, especially on a long flight.

2) My mom, who is a doctor, taught me this one: put some Neosporin under and around your nostrils. Neosporin is an anti-bacterial and, when placed around your nose, it kills germs before you can even breathe them in!

- Drink lots of water. Flying all day is really dehydrating, as is drinking a lot if you are going to any kind of festivities like we are. Keeping your water consumption up throughout the trip keeps your energy levels up and prevents headaches and fatigue.

- Lastly, and most importantly, have fun! I am bringing plenty of work with me, and hoping to do some, but I am also going to bring some trashy magazines on the plane to balance it out. I’m excited to see lots of Loren’s family and catch up, and just have a great time! Portland is such an awesome city, and I’ve only been there once, so I am really looking forward to exploring!

Can’t wait to take you all with me! First, gotta get packing . Goodnight!

[Via http://katsdailyplate.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment