Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pizza Salad

My friend Katherine shared some of the fruits of her garden that would have spoiled while she was on vacation. This is an especially nice treat now that we live in Wyoming! Tonight I was looking for something to do with the tomatoes and remembered having seen a salad that used fresh tomatoes and mozzarella with basil. I started with a recipe at foodtv.com but made alterations to suit my ingredients and audience; I came up with the name “Pizza Salad” while admiring the finished product, figuring the name might add kid appeal. Unfortunately, they quickly figured out those were raw tomatoes under the cheese! Larry and I both had seconds and the four middle children ate their small servings (with funny faces) because they knew there would be dessert; Drama Boy and Baby Boy would not even take a bite.

My version of the recipe (there are many online): Slice as many tomatoes as you need and arrange on a plate or platter. Mine looked like they were in the roma family, small and not too squashy. Sprinkle with a thin layer of shredded mozzarella cheese and then with snipped fresh basil leaves. Drizzle with olive oil; season with a bit of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve at room temperature.

Bon appetit!

[Via http://agnusdei1996.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment