Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Am I Cheap, Thrifty, or Just Really Interested in Self-Sufficiency?

D?  All of the above?

Really, I can afford to buy breadcrumbs, I swear.  But I wanted to see if I could do this, so I didn’t waste any food.

I made my own breadcrumbs this week. I had a leftover baguette from a couple weeks ago and I held onto it to see if it would mold. I considered it an experiment.  (I know….WTF?)  When it didn’t, but when it was as hard as a rock, I went to town.  First I broke it in half over my knee like a stick of dead firewood. It was strangely satisfying.

Stale baguette

Then I went to town chopping it up, first in coarse pieces, then in the food processor.

And finally, I enjoyed mixing in my own herbs: some onion powder, garlic powder, dried parsley, etc.  Can’t wait to use it!

Seasoned breadcrumbs

Waste not, want not.

No comments:

Post a Comment