Sunday, September 27, 2009

Celery-Apple Soup and More Ways to Cook Zucchini

As predicted, I did make a cream of celery soup.  But while I was sautéeing the onions and celery together, I couldn’t help but think something was missing.  And suddenly it occurred to me that the sweet acidity of apples would be the perfect counterpoint to the earthy, vegetal qualities of the celery.  So a peeled, diced apple joined the vegetables in the pot, followed by some gorgeous pork stock.  When all was tender, I buzzed it with the immersion blender until smooth, then finished it off with a swirl of cream.

The zucchini pancakes also panned out pretty much as expected.  Grated zucchini, bound with whipped egg whites and a little chickpea flour.  They fried up fluffy and light, and the sauce I made to go with them (a pot of plain yogurt, a few teaspoons of tahini, and a sprinkling of piment d’espelette- you could also use cayenne or ground chile de arbol) was just right.

For breakfast (okay, brunch) yesterday, I cooked up a ragoût with the zucchini and a bunch of tomatoes.  Then I baked eggs in it, much like I did in this eggplant recipea year ago.  I topped it with the last of the burrata (did I not admit I was obsessed?) and a few torn leaves of basil from the windowbox.  A baguette tradition completed the very satisfying meal.

Originally published on Seasonal Market Menus.

No comments:

Post a Comment