Thursday, February 4, 2010

Super Bowl Servings

Last year, I had the incredible experience of attending the Super Bowl in VIP fashion.   I ate a delicious dinner with the Arizona Cardinals staff, was treated to a VIP tent to watch a Bud Bowl concert, pre game hospitality with amazing food, celebrities, and free massages, then finally got to see the game from the 35 yard line, lower level, right behind Adam Sandler and Kevin James.  It was an amazing weekend, a memory to last a lifetime.

This year, I will be watching from my own living room with good friends and a spread that has me hungry just writing about it.  It won’t be as glamorous, but we will have a great time cheering on the New Orleans Saints,  a team with a special place in my heart! 

 Here’s the menu  for the rest of you looking for Super Bowl sized inspiration!  Family recipes are listed below and all others are linked to the appropriate pages.  Go SAINTS!

  • Uncle Dave’s Grilled Hot Wings
  • Cajun Crab Stuffed Pepperocini
  • Mexican Layer Dip served with Tortilla Chips
  • Homemade Potato Chips
  • Vegetable Pizza
  • Ina Garten’s Outrageous Brownies

Uncle Dave’s Grilled Hot Wings

Uncle Dave is a long time cook and restaurant manager with his own flair for taste.  He made me these wings when he lived with us for a few years while I was in high school.  I begged him for the recipe after devouring the first batch he ever made me .  He gave me a list of 5 ingredients with no measurements.  I’m guessing below on the measurements, but I won’t know for certain until I make it if it tastes right.  So, look for an update later this weekend with what I finally decided was the correct mix.

  • 1 family sized packaged of chicken thighs, legs, and wings.
  • Several dashes of your favorite hot sauce, Dave uses Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
  • 2 tsps worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup ketchup

Mix the last 5 ingredients together over med low heat until well incorporated.  Baste 1/3rd sauce over chicken.  Grill for about 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear, basting constantly with the sauce.

Mexican Layer Dip, Served with Tortilla Chips

  • Shredded Lettuce
  • Chopped Tomato
  • Chopped Onion
  • Grated Cheese
  • Chopped Green Peppers
  • Chopped Black Olives
  • 8 oz Sour Cream
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 package taco seasoning

Blend sour cream, cream cheese, and taco seasoning together and spread on serving plate.  Top with layers of remaining ingredients and serve with chips.

Homemade Potato Chips

I have never made these before, but am feeling adventurous.  From a few minutes of research, I know the basic recipe is below, thanks to Paula Dean, The Neelys, and Diana Ratrae on About.com.  As for the seasoning, I’ll have to update you all on Saturday after I make mine.  I’m not sure what seasoning I’ll use, though I can guess it will include paprika, onion powder and salt. 

  • 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced thin (I’ll be using my new food processor because I don’t have a mandolin.)
  • Peanut oil filled halfway up a large saucepan, heated to 375

Clean, peel and slice the potatoes.  Put in a bowl of ice water for an hour and then dry thoroughly with wet paper towels.  DO NOT allow the wet potatoes to go in the fryer or you risk a serious burn.  Be extremely careful when frying.  Fry in small batches for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly until the potatoes float and turn golden brown.  Dry on paper towels to drain the grease.  Season with salt and your own seasoning mix.

[Via http://thesuburbancook.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment