Sunday, February 21, 2010

Make him eat his veggies damn'it!

So guess who finally decided that eating healthy is probably a good thing.

Me?

Oh brother/sista please!

I’ve been on that gravy train for a while now – thus the whole Fitness/Nutrition page I have for myself…that I just started…yesterday. Oh come on – give a girl a break! We all can’t be perfect like you. Yeah….you!

No, who I’m talking about is my husband! HOLY SHIT MY HUSBAND WANTS TO EAT HEALTHY!!! I honestly think that I just saw the devil shivering…hell must have frozen over, and damn if I didn’t see a freaking pig fly by me this afternoon at Barnes and Noble.

No but really. He wants me to cook healthier, he wants to make smarter choices on work lunches…I think he may even want to exercise – and God  help me if that’s the case, because I think I may die, roll over in my grave, haunt the living, and then come back to life to see it for myself.

“So” …I said to him, “if you want me to cook healthier, then I need some different cookbooks. Because you see all those puppies up there (this is where I point out my fabulously full cabinet of cook books), all of those guys are meant for the soul, the hips, and the bulging belly. Not one of them screams healthy.”

No problem he exclaims and then we’re off to Barnes and Noble.

Where I saw the Nook and wanted to buy one….really bad….really, really bad. But I didn’t, I stuck to cooking – damn you health!

And this is what I found!!!!!

The Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (in the Kitchen)

Freaking brilliant!!!!!

You know what this book does? It hide veggies in everyday regular food – like cauliflower in potatoes, and spinach in brownies. OMG – I lost my mind. I can’t wait!

I also got this:

Hungry Girl: 200 Recipes under 200 Calories

Oh yeah.

This book is sheer genius. One of Jonathan’s favorite desserts is cheesecake brownies. And this book has a recipe for it that is under 200 calories. And – it uses devil’s food cake and real cream cheese! You can’t beat that!

Oh – and I got this little gem. Just because I was on a roll (and mainly Jonathan didn’t say no)

Alton Brown is like my ultimate hero when it comes to cooking. So I splurged and bought his basic cooking book. It teaching you the “in-and-outs” of cooking….like how to blanch something. Whatever the hell that means. (Oh, and I know what that means, it’s just who calls cooking something in high heat and transferring it to cold water blanching? Blanch is that old lady from the Golden Girls – and that’s all Blanch will ever be to me).

So kids – today was a great day. Not only did I get some new “toys” to play with, but my husband actually wants to try and eat healthy! And only if it’s for a day, then it was all still well worth it!

[Via http://flyingicarus.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment