Thursday, October 1, 2009

Just call me Betty Crocker!

So, besides gracing the blogesphere with not one but TWO posts today, I also popped open this little discounted lovely:

(That’s right, that’s an extra large bottle, at an extra low price. Love. It.)

I’ve also been meaning to update you on some of my cooking/baking achievements (and also not so much “achievements”, but definitely some “needs-improvements”.)

Ahem.

First we have the Apple Raisin Oat Walnut Bread, that I’ve told you about before, but I guess I just feel impressed with myself when I say “Bread? Yeah, I made some. It was yummy.”

Applessauce. This I decided to make after visiting my first apple orchard of the season, and finding myself with an over abundance of apples. Applesauce seemed the perfect solution. And it was, until I decided to be lazy and not skin the apples. The result is now I have some yummy applesauce mixed with some not so yummy but very chewy apple skins. Ewww. Definitely falls under the category of “Needs Improvement,” but not a total loss.

Since I STILL had apples left over (even after the applesauce) I decided to try my hand at Apple Cinnamon Raisin Muffins. Alas, this also falls into the “Needs Improvement” category. You see, the recipe called for wheat flour, and all roomie and I had was about 4 bags of white flour, 2 of which were open (we’re not the best at keeping track of stuff like that. meh.) So I decided to use the white flour instead. I mean, how much of a difference can that make? Well, the muffins turned out tough and chewy. And they stuck to the paper. Hmmmmmm……… Wheat flour it is!!

(Maybe the bag of apples I got at the orchard was cursed? I’ll have to be more careful next time.)

And last but not least…………..(drumroll please)………………….

Finally! Something I did right! Check out my Tomato, Spinach and Feta Cheese Quiche. YUMMMMMMMY, this one is a keeper! The picture kind of speaks for itself. It was that good.

And that’s all for now. Next recipe I want to try is for Minestrone Soup, made in a crockpot. Yes, crockpot season is once again upon us. I love my crockpot. I don’t care if that means I’m an old lady, and you’re picturing me puttering around my kitchen in a ruffly apron and oven mits. I love mixing stuff together in the morning, turning it on, and then coming home to the blessed smell of a homecooked meal.

Love. It.

Soup is tricky though, so I’m hoping this one turns out.

 

Care to share your favorite Fall recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment