Thursday, October 22, 2009

the crock-pot

I have two versions of this organic free range chicken thing, one with Italian seasonings and one with Mexican. Today I’m doing Mexican. After it’s cooked, I will remove some of the chicken and shred it (it falls apart nicely) and make enchiladas, burritos or soft tacos for dinner. Then tomorrow or the next night I’ll serve it as tortilla soup by adding, well, tortillas. I’ll also bake tortillas and serve them on the side of the soup and add a scoop of sour cream on top with fresh cilantro for garnish.  All of the below is organic, just stick in the crock-pot and cook it all day.

First of all, because I must bitch, I have to shop at 5 grocery stores to get the ingredients I like, and a couple of these freaking stores are an hour plus drive. Not only does eating out here completely suck, but try finding great healthy ingredients to cook. And forget gourmet … blah blah … It’s all just hopeless.

boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs (or sometimes, instead, I throw a whole chicken in there)

organic chicken stock

1-3 whole jalapenos which I remove after and slice for G because I’m not a fan of heat

homemade salsa made in the trusty Vita-Mix … as follows:

3 great looking tomatoes

1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro

1/4 cup or so of each hot and mild fresh green chillies

lime juice

1 onion

coarse salt to taste

For soft tacos I serve with the usual … shredded cheese, lettuce, salsa, verde sauce,  sliced japs, sour cream and chopped cilantro

I’ll take a photo of this concoction later …  when I actually make it. Lord knows I can always become grumpy and sit and sulk instead, leaving my husband to feed himself Bojangles.

No comments:

Post a Comment