Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pass the Quinoa

I’ve been wanting to make quinoa for awhile now because it’s not only tasty, but it’s also a super food, meaning that it contains all of the essential amino acids in one serving. I’ve eaten quinoa several times (the Whole Foods on Bowery makes a Grain Shop salad with quinoa and wheat berry that’s to die for.)  and was looking for a fresh way to prepare it. So when I came upon a recipe on my foodie friend Anne’s fantastic blog, Poetic Appetite, for Farro with Broccoli, Walnuts and Golden Raisins, I decided to substitute the farro with quinoa. I also substituted Thompson raisins because I couldn’t find goldens. The picture below is actually my second date with quinoa. The first time I added grilled chicken to the mix, and it was a bit overcooked. This time I cooked the chicken cutlets separately, and served the quinoa as a side, topped with grated Locatelli romano cheese. Delicious! And since dinner was so well-balanced, I can treat myself to a little dark chocolate. (Who am I kidding? I’d be having the chocolate whether dinner was healthy or not!)

[Via http://madebymichellec.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment