Thursday, March 11, 2010

Baking and Bechamel Discoveries

Yesterday I made bechamel sauce for my pasta and peas lunch: truly you can make the sauce while the water boils on your lunch hour. My secret processed food allowance for years has included a few boxes of Annie’s mac and cheese for emergency comfort food. Obvious now that there was some gap in my thinking (damn you Don Draper) how could a powdered mystery substance really be easier than butter and milk and flour. Now Kraft seems as quaint and inexplicable as Bisquick, having lost all emotional control over me.

And then these wonderful molasses cookies that were baked between when I got home and when I went to the neighbors’ for dinner. Delicious modern ingredients that make these better than the old school cookies are 1 tsp. lemon zest and 1/2 cup wheat germ. Recipe comes from Moosewood Classics. I would mail you some, but I ate them all.

[Via http://emilynichols.net]

No comments:

Post a Comment