Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Real Reason Martha Stewart Went to Prison

I’ll bet you guys thought it was because of insider trading, right?  Common misunderstanding.  The real reason is this cake:

The Calorie Police (Richness and Decadence Division) swarmed on her kitchen when she completed this cake.  And then of course, because she published the recipe, they also go her for intent to distribute.  Poor gal.  Never saw it coming.

But seriously.  Look at this thing.  This cake is ridiculous.  It is 5 layers of 8 inch round chocolate chip cookies, with cream cheese frosting in between.  Do not make this cake.  And if for some strange reason, you find that somehow the cake has made itself and is just sitting there on your kitchen counter, for Heaven’s sake DON’T eat it!  You don’t want to end up like Martha.

This against-the-laws-of-the-calorie-police cake was commissioned by my husband for his birthday.  I made this thing once before…several years back.  I can’t remember the occasion…when is there ever an occasion for such decadence?  Anyhow, my hubby has a weak spot for cookies, so this is a fun choice for his birthday.

And speaking of birthdays, a very important one slipped past without a blog post from yours truly!  I think I put off adding a post about it because it feels like such a huge milestone to me that I really don’t have words for it.  On July 18, my precious baby boy turned ONE.  I am completely in awe of at God’s grace to us this past year.  Just thinking back to those H A R D first few days and months, worrying myself sick about Simon’s health…and now here he is…a silly, rambunctious and HEALTHY little boy.  God is so good.  We have truly felt His goodness FOLLOW us this year.  Psalm 23:6 says that “Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life.”  And Charles Spurgeon expounds, “Goodness supplies our needs, and mercy blots out our sins.”  I mean…what else could we possibly need?  God is so, so, so good.

Here are some highlights from Simon’s birthday.  And a couple more cakes.  Simon’s birthday was Dr. Seuss-themed.  We had such a good time hanging out with friends.  It was an incredibly special time.

This is Simon’s “smash” cake.  I was aiming for a Cat in the Hat cake.

This was the cake for everyone else.  Terrible picture…sorry.  I missed getting a picture of it before it was sliced.  It’s a Lime Icebox Cake…I LOVE this cake.  It is so refreshing!  And that’s Dr. Seuss’ “The Birthday Book” in the background…that’s the Great Birthday Bird in the picture.

Here are some highlights…

Happy Birthday, Simon.  You bring me so much joy.

[Via http://themixers.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment