Thursday, December 10, 2009

Twitter Launches Re-tweet (Reflection)

 

I read the news about the beta launch of retweet and the excitement around improvements recently made at several social media websites. I am probably one of the millions lucky to be part of something something of retweet that other people don’t get! That is what my twitter told me and I don’t even know what it is but anyway it is here and now my important tweets can be sent around to everyone over and over. I checked and I have 3000 tweets so far which is a few more than most people but they include every blog post I make also. That is the real use for twitter in my view. It serves as a good platform for broadcasting what one is broadcasting. That can be product or service marketing or personal branding. Twitter is really an experiment for me and if it was really working well I would have put some time into using it regularly and building the thing up. I seriously doubt if it will do more than broadcast effectively to a select target market. Facebook still does a better job and Linkedin was never designed to be a broadcast platform. I think twitter is evolving into something beyond twitter that may not be within the objectives of the original twitter. The needs of the market have to be served and the broadcast needs are being met but personal conversation is not the real business of twitter. It continues to upgrade itself not only in technical sense but also in business model. If that goes well, twitter should someday be a real platform for personal conversation or somebody else will find an angle, based on twitter’s efforts and failures, and create a new platform that does that job. Personally, what I really care about is that my user name is being held hostage by someone who has not used twitter since 2006 and they haven’t fixed it since my complaint of three weeks ago. Customer service may do twitter a bunch of good.

*This post belongs to this week’s edition of Wine by Cush Magazine blog and published early in World of Cush also.

[Via http://worldofcush.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment